Saturday, October 15, 2005

I have been thinking about something that's going on in my own work--the problems of representation and process, and what happens when you combine the two.

I tend to represent a thing or event--a city. getting thrown. Driving. But when I think about how to represent it, I don't tend to think of the image or the thing itself. I tend to think about how I am representing it. Am I gluing a bunch of little things together? Overloading an armature with rubber? Growing crystals?

This creates an abstraction of the thing itself, and I want to think that this is useful, that it gets to how it feels and not just how it looks. That it involves the body.

But when I think about this, I also think of Charles Ray and his low payoff problem. Meticulously re-creating a car or a tractor by hand is a beautiful process. But when you see it, it's hard to see the process and how it creates an abstraction.

Just throwing it out there. All this talking about other people's stuff and art history was just bummin' me out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home